Project Scenario: There is a new small business moving into a new office location. They have limited resources and look forward for your help to give them your best and cost effective solution.
Here are the resources and equipment they have in the office. Due to the slow economy, they have very limited budget to work with, so don’t count on buying new resources.
The followings are available resources, equipment and software:
1. One Internet connection for the entire office
2. One server computer with two network cards and it comes with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.
3. There is no router, so you need to use a computer and perhaps the server to include router role for the network.
4. Four PCs with windows vista. However, you may use only one of the four computers, in case you have a need extra computer in your design.
5. A switch box that all computers are connected to.
Requirement: The Following list contains all services, which need to have in the office:
1. DNS Server
2. DHCP server
3. Router and routing services
4. Mail server
6. File server
8. VPN-(PPTP vs. OpenVPN and other options)
There are three steps to finish the project:
1) Literature research
2) Design the network
a. You need to investigate the following TCP/IP and UDP based protocols and services
b. IP classes
j. Firewall and QoS especially for VoIP
2. Network design along with IP address schema and class along with your justifications for choosing specific IP class and subnet mask.
3. Proper routing strategy, since there is no physical router in house. You need to be specific as if you are going to deploy your strategy. You need to mention what tools and software you use in your design and also what is your approach and configuration to make it work.
4. Firewall configuration to accommodate required services in the office as well as considering security measures to protect the office’s LAN. Consider services such as intrusion detection, port forwarding etc.
5. In case they want to add secure wireless network to the office setup what is the best and secure approach in addition of using wireless router.(Think of IP address schema and subnets, security and authentication….)
6. Upon approving your design you will be asked to deploy your design.
Due to lack of funding you need to find the best options including open source community for their great software and supports. You should more than enough tools and software for free to make your design deployable.
Expected outcome and deliverability:
1. Demo (Implementation)
2. Formal report (technical) Up to 10 pages in IEEE format